Immigration Center of
Ekaterina Mouratova, PA

Temporary Visas for Crewmen and Transits

Typically, a resident of a foreign country seeking to travel through the United States will be required to acquire a visa first. Depending on the purpose of travel, a non-immigrant visa for a temporary stay or an immigrant visa for permanent residence will be required. It is recommended that you seek the assistance of an immigration attorney in completing your application for a visa.


Crewmen Visas

Crewmember (D) visas are for people working on international airlines in the United States, on ships or other sea vessels. They are intended to allow crewmembers to provide services that are required for normal operation. This particular visa requires that the crew person depart the United States on the identical vessel or some other vessel within a 29-day stay. If you journey to the United States to board a vessel you will be working on, a transit (C-1) visa or a combination C-1/D visa is required along with a crewmember (D) visa. An immigration attorney will help you with clarification on the matter.


Transit Visas

Transit (C) visas are non-immigrant visas for people traveling in direct and nonstop transit throughout the United States en route to a different country. There are few exceptions to these requirements. If the traveler seeks layover privileges, such as for visiting acquaintances or to take in some sightseeing, the traveler will have to qualify for the type of visa designated for that purpose. 


Immediate and unremitting transit is defined as a sensibly expeditious exit of the traveler in the standard course of voyage as the elements consent and imagines a pre-arranged schedule without any difficult layover privileges. If you already possess a valid visitor (B) visa, you could be able to use it to travel to the United States. If you happen to be a citizen of a contributing country, you could perhaps be able to gain passage to the United States on a Visa Waiver Program. 


How to Apply

Several steps are required to apply for a visa. The exact requirements and order of what is required may vary at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate depending upon where you apply. It would be of great benefit to you to consult an immigration lawyer for assistance with your application. 


Your immigration lawyer can help with: 


  • Online Non-immigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 
  • Photo – must be organized as listed in the Photograph Requirements
  • Scheduling an Interview – generally at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you reside. 
  • Paying Fees - non-refundable visa application fee, once approved, a visa issuance fee may be required.


Get the help you need today from an experienced immigration lawyer to get your application process started and have your interview scheduled expeditiously. 

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.